What Type of Evidence Do I Need to Submit With My N-400 Application?

When applying for citizenship by naturalization, you’ll need to fill in Form N-400, which our software helps you complete. Form N-400's official name is Application for Naturalization, and it’s the form USCIS needs for residents born outside of the United States who wish to become citizens.

Let us take a closer look at the type of evidence you need to submit as part of your N-400 application.

Standard Evidence for an N-400 Application

Regardless of any other factors, you will always need to submit proof of your Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) status. Typically, this will be a copy of your green card, both the front and back.

You will also need 2 passport-sized photographs and a form of government-issued ID. This could be a driver’s license, state ID, or anything else officially issued by the US government.

This is what you will need if you plan to apply based on the 5-year threshold and do not travel internationally frequently. However, it is also the evidence you will need for other application categories, as detailed below.

Frequent International Travelers

If you are applying for the 5-year threshold but travel internationally a lot, you will also need to demonstrate proof of continuous residence in the United States. This could be proof of tax returns, a property lease agreement, mortgage statements, bank account transactions, etc.

In short, you must prove that you have a residence in the US while traveling abroad and that you in fact live in the United States.

Naturalization by Marriage

Immigrants who are married to a US citizen can apply for naturalization after 3 years. Along with the basic documents mentioned above, you will also need evidence of your current marriage. This includes:

·  Your spouse’s birth certificate, passport or naturalization documents, proving they are a US citizen;

·  Your current marriage certificate;

·  Proof of termination of previous marriages (if applicable);

·  Documents that refer to you and your spouse, such as joint tax returns, mortgage statements, lease agreements, bank accounts, children’s birth certificates, etc.

If you frequently travel internationally during your 3-year residency period, you will also be required to prove continuous residence in the US. As you can see from the list above, there is a lot of crossover between these documents and those needed to prove your marriage. However, some can’t serve as evidence for both, so make sure you gather enough documents to prove both points.

Other Necessary Documents

This is by no means an exhaustive list of the evidence required for an N-400 application. However, it is the most general list, as various categories need further documentation, such as waivers, proof of name changes, etc.

Gathering Evidence for Naturalization Applications

If you would like help with your N-400 application, start using our online services for some of the lowest rates in the industry. Our software will provide a detailed evidence list so you do not miss anything when applying for your naturalization. 

Get Started

You can get started now with no obligation by creating your free account. Why wait?